The land of green, rolling hills, castles, and more Guinness and whiskey than you could ever imagine. Ireland is home to some of the most beautiful coastlines in the world as well as some of the kindest people. Everyone deserves to test their own luck of the Irish and head to the Emerald Isle for a getaway.
1. The king we all love to hate in “Game of Thrones” (or actor Jack Gleeson in real life) attends Ireland’s oldest university, Dublin’s Trinity College. The actor was also born in Cork, Ireland. Oscar Wilde, Jonathan Swift and, Bram Stoker, creator of Dracula, also attended Trinity College in Dublin.
2. Cork, Galway, and Dublin were all ranked in the top 10 list of the world’s ‘Friendliest Cities’ in 2018. 3. Free live music is played in almost every pub in Ireland seven days a week.
4. The park scene from the movie “P.S. I Love You” was filmed in a National Park outside of the city Galway.
5. U2’s Bono was born and raised in Dublin where the band was formed and played its first gig. He now owns a famous hotel and nightclub in the Temple Bar area.
6. Ireland is politically divided in half. Northern Ireland is under the rule of England and uses the British Pound currency, the south is the Republic of Ireland and it uses the Euro.
7. It is estimated that 50% of Dublin’s residents are under 25 years of age.
8. There used to be a way to get legally married up until the 1920’s in Ireland. It was called a strolling marriage. Couples would just have to walk towards each other on St. Bridget’s day and they would be legally married in Teltown, County Meath. To get a divorce they would have to walk away from each other in the same place.
9. The “Oldest Pub in Ireland” is reputed to be located in Dublin. The pub is called the Brazen Head. There has been a pub on this site since 1198.
10. The Cliffs of Moher draw almost 1,000,000 tourists per year and have been the setting for many movies and music videos including Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, The Princess Bride (1987), and in Maroon 5’s Runaway video.
Need more travel tips? Enter your email below.